Thursday, July 26, 2012

Equality FTW!! in New York State

I am subscribed to an email list for notifications from the Office of Governor Andrew Cuomo of New York State. This morning's email brought a great deal of joy: here is the notice, in toto...
Dear Friend,

This week marks the one year anniversary of the Marriage Equality Act taking effect in New York State. In the past year, more than 10,000 same-sex couples have been issued marriage licenses in New York State. That means that more than 20,000 people and their families are finally being afforded critical rights, protections and benefits of marriage under state law.

Until the passage of the Marriage Equality Act, same-sex couples were denied such basic rights and benefits as spousal health care, hospital visitation rights, pension benefits, property ownership, inheritance rights and more. Furthermore, they were denied the respect and dignity of having their loving relationship fully recognized by the state they call home.

In addition to ensuring basic civil rights and equality, the passage of the Marriage Equality Act has also had a positive impact on our economy. In New York City alone, the rise in visitors, hotel bookings, and wedding receptions has resulted in an economic benefit of an estimated at $259 million this past year.

New York has always been at the forefront of progressive reform and the passage of Marriage Equality reaffirms our state’s leadership role in the nation.

New York is proud, once again, to light the torch for equality and justice for all.

Thank you,
Andrew Cuomo Committee
I ♥♥ New York!

One of my proud moments, recently, when I stood with Marylanders For Marriage Equality during the Baltimore Artscape 2012... They asked me to complete the sentence "I support Marriage Equality because..."; I wrote (yes, that's my handwriting), "I believe all human beings to be equal."

I support marriage equality

No comments:

Post a Comment